Friday, March 1, 2013

Annus Horribilis!

My first attempt at a Rock Cuff Bracelet
After the fire at Buckingham Palace, The Queen stated the above! Ditto! 6 weeks of Whooping Cough, a  failed colonoscopy (the doctor finally told me he was going to stop the procedure and end the torture), and now major dental work on all 4 quadrants - I'm swimming through a red fog of pain and wondering if this is what the writer meant who said, "old age is not for the faint of heart!" My poor little right brain is cowering in a far corner, whimpering and making weird gestures with her hands. Will she ever risk the cold hard light of reality again? What to do? What to do?


I know! Take a class!

Not only does a class relieve you of having to make any decisions, it's delightful and approved playground time and it keeps you current with progress being made by leaders in the field. Regardless of how many years you have been working with polymer clay, there are still new techniques being developed and you may find it sets you off on entirely new path in your efforts. If you find that the work of a particular artist is intriguing, beguiling and leaves you wondering how certain aspects were done, take the class. If you can attend one in person, that's even better. The camaraderie will lighten your spirits considerably, and, as my Arctic Fox says, "Creative people need to be with creative people." However, if that is not possible, this is the age of technology and classes are given on dvd, online, and through podcasts, and they are frequently of high caliber. Thank you Melanie Muir and Alison Lee of Craftcast. Melanie has a Craftcast class (moderated by Alison) that is fabulous. She has amalgamated many existing techniques and added her own twist and come up with a wonderful, entertaining, instructive class on her Rock Cuff Bracelets. For over an hour I lost myself in her wonderful Scottish burr and her lucid and logical instruction. She holds nothing back, and, what makes me happy, does not require you to purchase scarce items to accomplish a beautiful end result. Thanks again, ladies. You managed to get me hoping this new year will be an Annus Mirabilis!

PS. No, this is not a paid advertisement. These ladies do not know I'm posting this (I hope they don't mind!)


8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous stuff! I totally agree with you, the Craftcast classes are awesome. I try to take one every now and then since I am unable to meet up with anyone here on this island...makes me feel like I am part of something! Sorry to hear about the teeth...guess that is what happens when you get up there in years eh? lol Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concern sweetheart. Love you too. Hope we can take a class together again sometime-we could torment some other poor instructors, LOL!

      Delete
    2. P.S. with regard to my falling apart - I warned you I wasn't going to go gentle into that good night - I'll be going totally used up!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Vickie,
    After all of that, you still managed to whip out a beautiful bracelet. Keep on keepin on. I bought Melanie's class also. Well worth the money. I haven't made a big bracelet like you did yet. All the women I know have very tiny wrists. I had to reduce the pattern to tiny and made two bracelets. That wasn't easy because I have very big hands. Can't even find any vinyl gloves to fit. Even one size fits all and extra large are too small. I probably wouldn't use them anyway. Instead of a mokume game/rubber stamp center, I made a abalone/paua shell looking center. The women I gave the bracelets both liked them. I am going to try to use this technique to make some men's bracelets using the smaller size pieces. Maybe combined with macrame or paracord.I would use square, rectangular and oblong shapes. Might be fun to do primative shapes too.
    I really hope you are feeling better. Can't last forever. Watch for the light at the end of the tunnel.............and hope it's not a train.
    Take care Vickie,
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind sentiments, Jay. I'm actually feeling quite optimistic - maybe that light is the sun, not a train!!! I think the abalone/paua would be gorgeous in that technique. Yes, definitely try some primitive shapes - I find them so much more appealing. I can see some pacific beach rock shapes - now you have me daydreaming! Maybe a gouge dug out at an inside curve, with some carborundum embedded to suggest a hidden geode..... hmmm. Warm regards, Vickie

      Delete
    2. I hope it is a healing light, Vickie

      That geode sounds great. Maybe you could also find something in the aquaium supplies store or where the sell florist supplies. I did see something in Michaels that looked like small quartz pieces, but the colors were dull.
      Take care,
      Jay

      Delete